[EVDL] EVLN: Musk walked-back on PV roof> its stupid
Willie via EV
2018-12-10 15:22:57 UTC
On 12/10/18 8:53 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV wrote:

> Lets put our effort into educating the public about the 45 EVs we have now
> and the 250 planned over the next 7 years and stop distracting them with
> fluff...

Bob, of course most of what you say is true. But, I don't see solar
cars as distracting. Obviously, as you point out, they will be a niche
market and very unlikely to expand beyond the niche category. But I
wish to encourage development. I was in the market for an early Leaf.
And for an early Tesla. And for a Model 3. I am in the market for a
solar car and will buy one if compelling.

Willie via EV
2018-12-10 17:47:54 UTC
On 12/10/18 11:17 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:

> A niche of a niche, because even today EVs themselves are still a niche
> item, and IMO will only become a true mass market product with continued

Perhaps you are not familiar with recent Model 3 sales figures? By my
definition of "niche", EVs, especially Tesla, have moved well beyond.
Will demand disappear as income tax credits disappear? Possible, but I
think not.

EVDL Administrator via EV
2018-12-10 21:19:36 UTC
On 10 Dec 2018 at 11:47, Willie via EV wrote:

> Perhaps you are not familiar with recent Model 3 sales figures?

Correct, I wasn't, until I read your response and looked them up.

From July through August, Tesla sold 72,050 Model 3s in the US. (Or so they
claim. Rather suspiciously, the sales numbers I found end in even zeroes
for every month.)

Assuming that's accurate, I have to admit, it's pretty impressive.

Comparing those sales to those of a few mainstream ICE sedans:

18% fewer than 87,912 Toyota Corollas
35% fewer than 111,006 Toyota Camrys
29% fewer than 101,244 Honda Civics
29% fewer than 100,814 Honda Accords
112% more than 34,005 Hyundai Sonatas

... to a couple of other "green" vehicles:

148% more than 29,060 Toyota Prii
1,270% more than 5,261 Nissan Leaves

... and to a "brown" vehicle:

76% fewer than 298,288 Ford F-series pickups

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

Willie via EV
2018-12-10 17:53:47 UTC
On 12/10/18 11:23 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> I think there might be a reasonable market for a Stella-like vehicle,
> except without the solar panels. Blasphemous, I know :)

> With a relatively small battery and basic interior finishes, could the
> retail price be around $15K? If so, it could be really tempting to a
> whole new market sector. And, a more expensive model could be sold with
> solar panels for those who want to have infinite range.

A GREAT idea! Though I think a PVless Stella might find a market with a
higher price, perhaps $25k. Even more if our tax credit survives. I
recall what great values imievs were at $15k-$25k before incentives.
Jeff Mccabe via EV
2018-12-10 18:29:28 UTC
There isn't just one road to alternative transportation, just like theirs not just one source of alternative energy ! Theirs room for all.  The more choices we have the better.
Jeff
On Monday, December 10, 2018, 6:53:15 AM PST, Robert Bruninga via EV <***@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> I can only say that my attempts of education here have failed.

Because its irrelevant to selling EV's to the masses which is what we must
do to protect our air.

> Every time I talk to my friends at Tesla about solar vehicles they shut up
> like clams.

Because it is a stupid idea and they are being nice to not just roll their
eyes...

> Higher ups at Tesla are solar team alums [and] know what it takes...

And they also understand it is totally unmarketable to the American public.

> I hope ... everyone will realize that solar vehicles are indeed possible
> technically.

Of course they are, but totally lacking in a business model to sell enough
to change the word which MUST  happen.

And Yes, I BUILT one.  I added 220 watts on my solar prius, but I tell
people that it was fun but less than 0.001 economically practical!  I have
100 times more solar area on my roof at home AND the large format solar
panels coast one TENTH those on the prius for a net economic stupidity of
1000 to 1.

All this fluff over making solar cars is just distracting people from the
need to buy EVs NOW.  We are ten years since EV's were good enough, and now
they are better, faster, cleaner, cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate and
cheaper to maintain.

ALL WE NEED is an educated public and less fluff and chasing at windmills to
distract them.