Sounds Effects for EV's
Michael Bonard
2009-05-18 02:17:21 UTC
Dennis,

Thanks for your inputs regarding noise requirements for an EV.

We have in fact two conflicting requirements:
- A very low level of noise is a wonderful quality of the EV technology,
both for passengers and for people who live near a street or highway.
- There is a need for sound generation as an attention getter for
pedestrians, and mostly in urban traffic.

Here are some ideas:
External sound (not noise..) generation would be desirable at very low
to low speeds, when we are most likely to be in urban driving conditions
and in the presence of people. I say sound and not noise since we
generally associate noise with an unpleasant perception. Some sounds can
even be pleasant!

High speed driving does not need sound generation since the road noise
generated by the tires is always present above 30 - 40 miles/hour.

At low speed, it would be nice to to generate a sound that would be a
warning for pedestrians without being annoying or nerve racking. This
can be easily achieved with a wave generator (or recording), and with a
classic (relatively low power) audio amplifier, associated with a
waterproof speaker located outside the cabin. We should be able to
control what sound we emit and the level of the sound. The sound
generation should be triggered by the speedometer of the car, or the
RPM of the motor depending of what is available (or feasible). I predict
that one day this sound generation will become a mandatory safety
feature for EV's, with levels and sound patterns having to meet safety
specifications (to be determined).

I have already planned to implement an external sound system in my new
EV.. (I will even be able to play Harley Davidson or Maserati engine
noises if I want to attract attention!!)

Here is my experience with back-up alarms: during my first driving test,
when I backed up, my wife was not looking at the car, and although I was
looking at her and there was no danger, she became really alarmed since
she did not hear anything! She insisted that I install a back-up beeper
alarm. I was very lucky to find a minuscule beeper that needs NO wiring
at all and that sticks directly to the back-up lights: it receives its
power through a photocell directly from the light emitted by the backup
bulb shining through the plastic lens! It provides a fairly loud alarm
to people within a radius of 20 feet. I paid $6.00 at PEP Boys (SKU No.
9642)!

As far as cabin noise is concerned, I just installed the vacuum pump for
my power brake and I was shocked by the very loud rattle it produces.
This is obnoxious: I am very disappointed to see that the best pump I
could find (made by Thomas) is so noisy, and that the pump runs every
time I use the brakes! If we expect to have a widespread EV acceptance,
I estimate that this noise is unacceptable!

Is there anyone in our EV community who could recommend a more silent
pump and who could tell me if increasing the vacuum reservoir capacity
would avoid triggering the pump at every braking occasion? How are the
current plug-in EV's designed (I have never heard them making rattling
noises!). What about the other electric conversions like EV1, RAV4?
Please help!

Thanks,

Michael Bonard
Neon 2000 EV
Washington, DC

From: Dmiles33810-***@public.gmane.org
Subject: [EVDL] Noise is valuable for safety of pedestrians
To: ev-UWgVIey+***@public.gmane.org

Noise is valuable for safety of pedestrians near EVs
A noisy vacuum pump should be considered an asset,(as Lawrence Rhodes has
said, and I agree.) not a detriment. So too squeaky brakes, so why not bend
the brass strip or pad wear alarm / indicator closer to the disk so even
new brake pads make that attention getting, ?Squeal.? Or you might consider
adding a ?Backup Alarm? module connected to the brake light switch and a
five second delay cutoff relay (Or 555 timer circuit?) so it doesn't ping
incessantly at the traffic light. Additionally, the brake lights can
connect to the front turn lamps, as many California cars do, to alert oncoming
drivers of your slowing. (Note to California drivers, other States do not
require this feature?) IMHO these low impact modifications may increase
SAFETY, and none are Illegal or mandated at this time, IMHO ! As I see it, we
want to be noticed by anyone who might be thereby deterred from entering
our space, lessening the likelihood of collision with vehicles or pedestrians.
The benefit to you and me would be no need to wait for 30 minutes or more
for investigating police to make a report and less wear on our "Emergency
Flashers!"

Electric Vehicle Training Center Inc.
Training you, to fix Tomorrows Electric Vehicles.

Dennis L. Miles Director
Roland Wiench
2009-05-18 04:19:22 UTC
Hello Michael,

The electric drive diaphragm pumps with low vacuum in.hg only up to 15
in.hg. will be the most nosier that has a grill type of air inlet on them.
I use a belt driven 4 vane vacuum pump that is driven off the main motor
with a 2 to 1 pulley ratio so it only goes about 50 percent of the motor
speed.

You can get these 4 vane vacuum pumps from http://www.jegs.com/. Use either
the Moroso 710-22641 or 22642 ones for up to 22 in.hg. These have a screw
on hose fitting for inlet which is the vacuum side and the outlet that can
be connected to a hose connected type of air breather that has a filter in
it which reduces the pump vanes noise.

The vacuum side is hose connected to a Jeg's vacuum canister that has a
check value in it which is the same type that plugs into a brake vacuum
booster. This prevent breed back and holds the vacuum a lot longer.

The vanes in these pumps, look like a high carbon metallic silver graphite
brushes. For long life it is recommended to install a tee in the inlet and
install a automatic oilier. This looks just like those old clear jar gas
filters where you can see the oil level. You adjust a needle value for the
amount of oil you want to go in. There is a screw top cap that you can take
off to add more oil. It is also a bleeder cap to let the air in so the oil
will flow.

For a electric motor drive, do not use the engine type of power belts. It
best to use a industrial cog belt that can these smaller pulleys. I have a
multiple of pulley drives coming off my main motor. The final drive is a
2.25 inch diameter pulley off the drive to a 5 inch pulley on the vacuum
pump.

Roland

EVDL Administrator
2009-05-18 05:36:05 UTC
The sound generation should be triggered by the speedometer of the
car, or the RPM of the motor depending of what is available (or
feasible).
Ouch.

You know, I'm mostly Mister Mellow here, but for some reason this whole
noisemaker idea really bothers me. The notion that my EV should make
unnecessary noise -- and especially that the generation of that noise should
be mandatory and out of my control -- bothers me more and more the more I
consder it.

I'm concerned about the sightless too. But a big reason I like EVs is that
I like quiet. We have way too much noise pollution in our cities as is.
Experiments have shown the deleterious effects that noise cause on living
things. We don't need any more stress from that source.

EVs contribute to reducing noise. Please, let's not give that up.

I'm not so opposed to a quiet, pleasant advisory sound IF it's under control
of the driver. Vehicles making noise all the time at some speed because
somebody thinks they're too quiet -- sorry, no. To me that's just not
acceptable.

Driving 1-2 tons of vehicle with the capacity to kill and maim is a huge
responsibility. If we can't get drivers to accept that resonsibility (and I
hope nobody here is in that category) and we MUST have some kind of
automatic noisemaker, then let it be one which recognizes the presence of a
pedestrian and starts up only when one is in or near the path of the
vehicle. This isn't so hard to do today with sophisticated radar; many
vehicles already have it for collision avoidance warning.

I still say, the right answer is in the driver's seat. EV (and quiet ICE)
drivers have an extra responsibility to watch out for pedestrians. We all
have to keep our eyes where they belong and remember the power under our
feet (even if it's only a Curtis ;-). It's about acting in a socially
responsible way. Then it won't be necessary to add more noise to our
cities.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not
reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my
Bas Doeksen
2009-05-18 08:52:01 UTC
Post by EVDL Administrator
Ouch.
You know, I'm mostly Mister Mellow here, but for some reason this whole
noisemaker idea really bothers me. The notion that my EV should make
unnecessary noise -- and especially that the generation of that noise should
be mandatory and out of my control -- bothers me more and more the more I
consider it.
The reason I got into electric vehicles is the traffic noise of the busy
street next to our home. My kids sometimes wake up earlier because of a
passing truck or moped. I figured there had to be a better way.
Making a quiet vehicle noisy is ridiculous: here we have a technology
that clearly is superior in this respect. If you add noise it would take
away that superiority.
Noise really is a pollutant with profound impact on public health. See:
http://www.euro.who.int/Noise
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/aug/23/sciencenews.uknews
http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcrcvs

I sincerely hope the 'add noise to your EV' supporters had a tongue in
cheek and I failed to notice...

Bas
joe
2009-05-18 12:49:17 UTC
I agree - and a horn is the best driver-selected noisemaker available; and
it is standard equipment on all road vehicles. Keep It Simple, and
uncomplicated.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: joe-XfpEAlGaYgl8UrSeD/***@public.gmane.org

17:05:00
Myles Twete
2009-05-18 13:35:47 UTC
Post by joe
and a horn is the best driver-selected noisemaker available
Horns are fine, but aren't the friendliest of warning devices.
There are also trolley or Bermuda bells or "ahooga" horns, either of which
conveys warning without being obnoxious.
There are plenty of aftermarket new ones of each of these types available
now and they've been seen (or heard) on e-conversions already.

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.
chris stephens
2009-05-18 20:16:59 UTC
I'm not into the "noise for safety thing but someone could added a second
horn with a more polite and lower noise level. I have in mind the old
classic knightrider swoosh noise. Or something like a supercharger or
digitized gear noise.

Stub

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.
Robert Johnston
2009-05-18 22:08:48 UTC
Post by chris stephens
I'm not into the "noise for safety thing but someone could added a second
horn with a more polite and lower noise level. I have in mind the old
classic knightrider swoosh noise. Or something like a supercharger or
digitized gear noise.
My old Citroen (That I had before I moved here to Canada) had a
2-stage horn system as a dash button. The first click (About half-way)
sounded a (rather wimpy) electric horn. Pressing all the way to engage
the second switch added a 130dB pair of air horns. This was standard
equipment, too, not an optional add-on.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
Sent from Regina, SK, Canada
Bob Rice
2009-05-19 05:12:40 UTC
I'm not into the "noise for safety thing but someone could added a second
horn with a more polite and lower noise level. I have in mind the old
classic knightrider swoosh noise. Or something like a supercharger or
digitized gear noise.
My old Citroen (That I had before I moved here to Canada) had a
2-stage horn system as a dash button. The first click (About half-way)
sounded a (rather wimpy) electric horn. Pressing all the way to engage
the second switch added a 130dB pair of air horns. This was standard
equipment, too, not an optional add-on.
Renault Daupines had that, too. Great idea! a "horn" that could go from
"roadrunner" Beep Beep" to full TRAIN horn , depending on HOW hard ya push
down on the button? Ya ALL know when you NEED a horn you slam it on, willing
it to be LOUD!But it isn't but COULD be!

Bob
Post by Robert Johnston
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston
Sent from Regina, SK, Canada
Bill Dube
2009-05-18 14:40:31 UTC
I'm in full agreement with David on this topic.

There are a number of completely silent ICE luxury cars on the market
and NO ONE complains. I think that the complaint about the inherent
silence of EVs is an example of negative "whisper campaign" tactics
by groups opposed to reduction in our dependance on foreign oil.

If there is a switch on the dash that allows my EV to make a soft
transmission-like sound at my discretion, then I would not object to
that. I would object to that feature being required. I would strongly
object to the sound being mandatory and not within my control.

I have driven a silent EV daily (25 miles each way) since 1996. The
silent nature of the vehicle has never been a safety problem. (Just
like it is not a safety problem in the silent ICE luxury cars.) Once
in a while in a parking lot, I will say aloud, "Excuse me please."
when a chatting pedestrian is blocking my intended path. I do the
same thing inside the store when I am pushing a silent shopping cart.

Bill Dube'
Mike Willmon
2009-05-18 15:39:27 UTC
I want the galloping horse sound for the Pinto when I pull up to the line on the drag strip ;-)

Meighby, throw a neigh or chompin' lips in the audio stream, or even some flatulence ;-)
Dave Hymers
2009-05-18 16:32:50 UTC
I would advocate an on command horn that sounded as loud as possible:

"This is the future you idiots get out of my way." In one of those loud male
1950's sounding voices. :)

They want noise ? I say if you have an EV make as much noise as you can
stand.

/gets off soap box.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

This "noisemaker" requirement, like other attempted ridiculous
regulations being forced on EVs (on the street and in racing), are
just like the "Red Flag" laws that were enacted in opposition to automobiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_laws

These laws were made under the guise of safety but were the result of
pressure from the "buggy whip" manufacturers and business lobby that
saw the horseless carriage as a threat to their livelihood.

The more that things change, the more they remain the same. Those
that don't study history are doomed to repeat it.

Bill Dube'
Robert MacDowell
2009-05-21 03:26:50 UTC
Post by Bill Dube
I'm in full agreement with David on this topic.
There are a number of completely silent ICE luxury cars on the market
and NO ONE complains.
Those cars are pretty quiet, but they are not silent. Case in point.
Post by Bill Dube
I think that the complaint about the inherent
silence of EVs is an example of negative "whisper campaign" tactics
by groups opposed to reduction in our dependance on foreign oil.
An apt observation on your part. This is an issue in which politics
reigns surpreme, and ignorance runs rampant.

I just don't want any of you folks thinking you are exempt from this.
If anything, I'm observing a strong effort from the EV crowd to match
ignorance with ignorance.

"Keep my streets quiet". um..... "keep"?????

Where's your street? Mackinac Island? :)

"I should have a switch to turn it off". How about the ignition switch?

"It's never been a problem for me". But almost by definition, your EV
operates in one metro area, and so you are only familiar with the
operating environment of that area. It tells you nothing about NYC,
San Francisco, Vail, Dayton, the LLNL campus or any other place. As
EVs go hybrid, this will become a much larger issue because they will
roam much farther.

"I'm a Very Good Driver." No doubt. I'm not worried about you. I'm
worried about John Q Idiot who we all very much hope will find an EV
appealing someday.

Or would you prefer to keep EVs an exclusive club? if so, might want
to ask Bill Dube about that pro-oil-dependency action group :)

"If my car makes noise, it will break the tranquility of driving an
EV." As if the law will require your EV to sound like a Harley with
pipes? :)

The point has already been made that many ICE's are quiet. But,
notably, they make a bit of noise as they accelerate. If your EV was
that quiet, could you be OK with that?

Robert
rodhower-yWtbtysYrB+
2009-05-21 03:42:01 UTC
The point has already been made that many ICE's are quiet. But,
notably, they make a bit of noise as they accelerate. If your EV was
that quiet, could you be OK with that?

Robert

And what's your point Robert?
This noise issue is really stupid, most new Ice's make almost no noise, no more than an EV. If stupid people choose to ignore 3-4 thousand pound vehicles they are taking a big risk. Same for the people driving these vehicles, pay attention. I really don't see the point in this discussion, ICE or EV weighing 3klbs will kill you if you don't pay attention, simple Darwin theories here.
e***@public.gmane.org
2009-05-18 17:17:32 UTC
If you CAN see ;-)

But think about the folks that can't, if they didn't have all that
pesky background noise from ICE vehicles, they would be able to hear my
Zilla cooling pump coming :-)
Peter C. Thompson
2009-05-18 17:25:10 UTC
That does raise an interesting question - what laws are on the books NOW
to support blind people? The law needs to apply equally and
fairly...putting laws only on EVs is not fair nor equal.

Cheers,
Peter
Post by Dave Hymers
"This is the future you idiots get out of my way." In one of those
loud male
1950's sounding voices. :)
They want noise ? I say if you have an EV make as much noise as you
can
stand.
/gets off soap box.
*Peter C. Thompson*
*Qualcomm, Incorporated.* Office: +1 (858) 658-1936 Mobile: +1
(858) 692-3571
AIM: PThompson509 Yahoo!:peter_thompson MSN:
N26688-***@public.gmane.org Skype: PThompson509
pratt2
2009-05-18 17:34:10 UTC
I got my son to test our ev kart last weekend

http://www.evalbum.com/2530

he made plenty of noise when he went screaming through the yard.

He was screaming because he didnt expect the understeer from the solid
rear axle

No one got near him though. There were a few guys working on a vw dune
buggy who wondered how it was moving without an engine running.

The day ended when he blew a front tire making a u-turn on pavement.

This is definitely an off road kart.

I wonder if I will get any complaints since the locals dont like the
noise of the current atv's. They want them banned from local trails
because of the noise pollution.

I built a quiet neighbor friendly fun machine, will they now say it's
too quiet?

If you've got a white cane with a red tip I'll drive around you,
otherwise put down the cell phone and look where you're going.....
Bob Sisson
2009-05-18 18:42:16 UTC
I built my wife this NEV...

It is all but silent at 30Mph...

Since it is technically a bike (still has a pedal for when she runs out of
battery) you can creep up on bikes in the bike lanes and say "Nice day isn't
it...." at 30 Mph...

On pot holes it creaks a lot...and Bike brakes are noisy... but otherwise
it sounds like a Bike freewheeling.... (clickclickclickclickclick softly...)

It is unusual enough that most people spot it and ask (yell) questions about
it...

Bob Sisson
1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
Gaithersburg MD
Bob Rice
2009-05-19 04:39:21 UTC
I got my son to test our ev kart last weekend
http://www.evalbum.com/2530
he made plenty of noise when he went screaming through the yard.
He was screaming because he didnt expect the understeer from the solid
rear axle
No one got near him though. There were a few guys working on a vw dune
buggy who wondered how it was moving without an engine running.
The day ended when he blew a front tire making a u-turn on pavement.
This is definitely an off road kart.
I wonder if I will get any complaints since the locals dont like the
noise of the current atv's. They want them banned from local trails
because of the noise pollution.
And the'll bitch about EV's too as they will tear up trails and private
property, as do the gas ones Like Hummers they NEVER shoulda been built!
I built a quiet neighbor friendly fun machine, will they now say it's
too quiet?
If you've got a white cane with a red tip I'll drive around you,
otherwise put down the cell phone and look where you're going.....
Great minds think alike! go to hornblasters. com, enjoy the sounds I did
with my Amtrak career! I got to TRY one of their installations at BBB in
Fla! The're STILL ,looking for that train on the FAU campus! I gave them a
full "Crossing" 2 longs a short an' a long, LOUD and clear! It woulda woken
the DEAD! Has I a car, a Sound Off car, like J. Wayland enjoys with an F-40
tape, NOT a Farrari F-40 but and EMD F-40, the REAL thing; Diseasel lokie!
Now THAT's decibels! But not enough! Amtrak does it's share enforcing
Darwin's law, as well as Union Pathetic, BNSF, an' Portland's great MAX
system. Folks get clipped by those nice, silent ,electric trains! out on the
Left Coast! Been there, a busman's holiday , riding, in the head end
watching the stupid shit sheeple pull!. Electric trains and cars?
Witchcraft? Move silently, to the point that, in defense, sheeple will have
to LOOK for them, or the Blind's guide dog can? Yeah! What ever happened to
the blind's guide dogs or handlers, anyhow?OK, I'll cut THEM some slack, but
the REST of the dummies? Fair game for a tap on the horn! And YOU? Hell!
YOU'RE driving,Get OFF the Godanm fone and pay attention, be CAREFUL!! I can
STEER my EV, unlike my train!

I mean, we HAVE to protect against stupidy? I guess, we ALLOW them to
exist, make it easier, for "them?" A zillion lawyers make their living, to
EVeryone ELSES' cost?The other day ANOTHER Yale kid got run over. Walking
AGAINST the lite ,out from behind a parked truck! The pilot of the car NEVER
had a chance, knocked her dead! I've flattened pedestrians in NYC with my
BIKE, A Trek 10 speed! Walking against the lite, What part of "Don't Walk"
don't you get? or popping out in the bike lane, without looking!The ULTIMATE
death machine,deadly, silent, nobody'd hear the wimpy ding-a-ling bell had I
had one! Funny , that those you get LOOK DUMB, too!

OK lets talk about the important shit; Charge stations, better batteries,
so we can stealth better, etc?Wasted enough electrons on this AGAIN?After
all, nobodies bitchin' about the present crop of luxury ICE cars that are
silent as electrics? Nobodies wanting a noisemaker on a Lincoln, or Lexis,
even in Texas!So; It's politics to defile EV's!
Post by pratt2
what ever happened to natural selection? or common sense?
I was taught to look before crossing the street
Yeah! There ya go! see Above<g>?
Post by pratt2
Eric Poulsen
2009-05-18 22:25:21 UTC
I think it would be funny if the car emitted the same sound that the
Jetson's car did. It would get people's attention.
Ruspert
2009-05-19 21:48:47 UTC
<Does anyone know if the electric trolley buses in service , have an alarm or
a noise generator as it moves? It has been some years since being around
them and I do not recall any noise from the buses.
Roland Wiench
2009-05-19 22:14:48 UTC
We have one trolley that has one of these on it:

http://www.stanleylondon.com/bellbrassship.htm

Ring it every time you come to a intersection or stop to pick up someone.

Roland

http://www.nabble.com/Sounds-Effects-for-EV%27s-tp23590058p23625017.html
robert winfield
2009-05-19 11:25:55 UTC
get rid of ALL distractions. My uncle was killed in 1917 by a car because the driver was distracted by a pretty girl in New Jersey.

Its why we have eyes and ears and othe senses, to watch for danger
Date: Monday, May 18, 2009, 12:41 PM
Post by Dave Hymers
1950's sounding voices. :)
They want noise ? I say if you have an EV make as much
noise as you can
Post by Dave Hymers
stand.
/gets off soap box.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
OMG. Lets think outside the car.

Since pedestrians are only suppose to cross at crosswalks, and there
is already hardware there for vision impaired pedestrians, Just add
another sensor. Maybe a slow steady beep for clear and increaseing beep
as cars approach and decrease after on a different pitch.

Blind j-walkers are darwin award winners.
Robert MacDowell
2009-05-21 07:21:10 UTC
My point, Rod, is that the anti-noisemaker people are every bit as
unreasonable as they accuse the pro-noisemaker people of being. I
mean, the arguments aren't even internally consistent. (modern cars
are silent but we don't want our cars to be that loud). They don't
reflect facts. (like those cars DO make noise when they accelerate!)
The arguments are deeply disrespecful, and offensively cavalier,
toward the most basic rights of others. And lest there be any
ambiguity on that point, several of you specifically invoked the term
"darwin" to refer to people who get in the way of your silent cars.

I mean, look at Jeff here.
Post by Jeff Shanab
OMG. Lets think outside the car.
Since pedestrians are only suppose to cross at crosswalks, and there
is already hardware there for vision impaired pedestrians, Just add
another sensor. Maybe a slow steady beep for clear and increaseing beep
as cars approach and decrease after on a different pitch.
Blind j-walkers are darwin award winners.
Jeff has the audacity to call Darwin on jaywalkers, when he doesn't
even know what a jaywalker *IS*. By way of not knowing what a
crosswalk is. For the record, a crosswalk is every side of every
intersection everywhere. Whether there are crosswalk improvements of
any kind, or not. Whether it's striped or not. Even if some sides
are striped and some are not. They are all crosswalks unless there is
a specific sign aimed at the pedestrians. That is the law.

So I hear you guys talking, and I gotta think... with allies like you,
your cause hardly wants for enemies! I'm an EV *advocate* and I'm
gobstruck.

Honestly. This issue has made you take leave of your senses. Come
back to them.

Robert
Evan Tuer
2009-05-21 23:12:29 UTC
OMG.  Lets think outside the car.
 Since pedestrians are only suppose to cross at crosswalks, and there
is already hardware there for vision impaired pedestrians, Just add
another sensor.  Maybe a slow steady beep for clear and increaseing beep
as cars approach and decrease after on a different pitch.
My EV is already noisy enough as it is - the wheel bearings are all
shot (it's only done 74,000 miles), and the brake vacuum pump seems to
be running all the time.

Still, if you want early detection of any EV, as a blind person, why
not carry a bat detector with you? EVs make a lot of noise somewhere
between 18-30khz, and it's fairly directional.

2009-05-22 04:29:48 UTC
There have been a number of points made in this thread. Given that many
new ICE's are very quiet. The most important point may be that as the driver
of a quiet vehicle one must watch more carefully for others who are
involved in other issues and not paying enough attention to behave safely. I feel
a bell on the hubcap to ding, ding, ding when moving slowly forward or
reverse as was popular in the 60's is unnecessary. So is any continuous noise
generator with a varying pitch to speed linkage. But I used to bicycle a lot
and safety minded ICE drivers who would wait until they were three feet
behind me and blow the horn a three second blast, were likely to drive me off
the pavement into the ruts and berm and cause thereby me to spill. I hated
that!
For five years I drove a Handicapped wheelchair transporting
taxi. It had a backup beeper. I had an extra switch attached so if I pushed the
red button strapped to the steering column, the backup beeper beeped just
like it did when I put the van into reverse. I used it in Hospital
pick-up-drop-off areas. people there were very concerned about their problems and
did not watch traffic, but, they would look around when they heard the
beeper and get out of my way. Perhaps a little more polite than something
louder. I agree that we don't need more NOISE! Of course I am a careful driver,
and I hope each of you is also. In 50 years of driving and over 500,000
Miles, I have never been charged as at fault in an accident. I am also
thankful that BOOM CARS are illegal in Florida. Ten watts is enough power for the
vehicle music system. I do not want to hear your music in my car. Please
lets discuss that in some other forum!

In a message dated 5/20/2009 11:46:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rodhower-yWtbtysYrB+***@public.gmane.org writes:

The point has already been made that many ICE's are quiet. But,
notably, they make a bit of noise as they accelerate. If your EV was
that quiet, could you be OK with that?

Robert

And what's your point Robert?
This noise issue is really stupid, most new Ice's make almost no noise, no
more than an EV. If stupid people choose to ignore 3-4 thousand pound
vehicles they are taking a big risk. Same for the people driving these
vehicles, pay attention. I really don't see the point in this discussion, ICE or
EV weighing 3klbs will kill you if you don't pay attention, simple Darwin
theories here.

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas. Find free things to do in
the U.S.