[EVDL] poor 2011 Leaf performance
Peri Hartman via EV
2018-12-05 02:13:44 UTC
Anyone want to take a stab at this mystery - poor performance of my 2011
Leaf ?

Temp about 45F
Heat on: drawing average of about 1 kW
"other systems" drawing about .25 kW
Drove 14 miles, went from 12 range bars to 5 bars (full charge level is
9 capacity bars)
Average 3.2 miles / kWh
Duration about 1 hr.
Driving pretty carefully - usually only 2 "balls" on the usage meter.

For electrical systems, I estimate I used about 1.25 kWh.
For traction, 14 / 3.2 = about 4.5 kWh
Total: 5.75 kWh.

According to
https://electrolease.nz/blog/nissan-leaf-range-charts-and-tables.html
5 bars equates to about 45% charge remaining.

Assuming that the capacity bars are linear and I'm between 8 and 9, the
battery should have somewhere near 17 kWh (24 originally).

45% of that is about 7.5 kWh remaining charge.
Add in what I've used, 5.75, makes 13.25 kW - but should be around 17.

Plus extrapolating the mileage: 14 / 45% = 31 miles estimated total
range.

What happened to the other 4 kWh?

And, am I the only one who get 31 miles per charge? This Leaf has had
miserable winter range since the beginning. Still don't know why.

Peri
Capacity bars are not linear.
The 12 bar display is actually anything from 85% to 100% capacity.
Below that, every bar stands for 6.25% if I am not mistaken (quoting from memory)
So 7 bar capacity can be as low as 100 – 15 – 4 x 6.25% = 60% so less than 15kWh.
Also, there is a reason it is called the GOM (Guess-O-Meter).
My Leaf has 8 capacity bars. I can drive home and go from 12 quickly to 10 or 9 and then arrive home with only 6 or 7 bars left.
Then drive to work starting with that half charge and arrive at work with still 3 bars left….
I have noticed that range bars are not linear, so you can’t say X bars is so many kWh left.
GIDs are a better measurement, so use LeafSpy and you can much better judge what your Leaf is doing.
Hope this helps,
Cor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Cor,

So, just to make sure I understand, you have 8 capacity bars, which
you're assuming is
100% - 15% - 3 * 6.25% = 66% of 24 kWh, or about 16 kWh, correct?

In my case, with between 8 and 9 capacity bars, that would be
100% - 15% - 2.5 * 6.25% = 69%,
or 24 kwh * 69% = 16.5 kWh.

My estimate for the range remaining doesn't change - I used the table in
the link below and did not assume them to be linear. So the rest of my
calculations are unchanged.

Still results in 3.5 kWh being "lost" somewhere.

If someone local (Seattle) has a gid meter and is willing to lend it, I
might be able to get some more accurate extrapolations. At least I'd
know the true capacity and the true amount of energy used, right?

Peri

Please discuss EV drag racing a
Collin Kidder via EV
2018-12-05 17:13:32 UTC
I have two leafs here - 2012 and 2013. The 2012 is lucky to get 40
miles of range in the winter. In the summer it's closer to 50 miles.
The 2013 can drive somewhere in the range of about 40-45 miles in
Winter and 60-70 miles in Summer. I wouldn't consider any of that to
be great but that's how it is. As far as I've heard, the batteries
they used in 2011 and 2012 were pretty bad and degrade very badly over
time. By 2013 the batteries got better then more recently they got
better again.

I think there is an issue where the cells do very poorly in Winter and
you don't get nearly the range you would calculate you should be able
to get. Be very careful how far you drive in Winter with these things.
I basically drive back and forth to work and charge when I get to work
(there's a J1772 6kw charger here). I don't usually have to charge at
home, even in Winter, even if I drive around a bit between home and
work. But, I live 9 miles away from work so that's only 18 required
miles to get back and forth. Still, driving 9 miles from work to home
in Winter will easily take 20% charge, sometimes more. This agrees
with my above guess. 9*5 would be 45 miles range at best.

Peri Hartman via EV
2018-12-05 19:11:49 UTC
Thanks, Collin.
That affirms one part of the "mystery": poor range in winter.
The other half - missing 3.5 kWh - still persists.
Peri

Haudy Kazemi via EV
2018-12-06 15:23:42 UTC
Leaf owners can benefit greatly from the LeafSpy app (not free) and a
quality bluetooth OBD2 adapter. They can then look at the detailed health
and capacity stats in app. My guess is 9 bars would be about 16 kWh
capacity.

You may also be losing energy to sticky brakes. Some brake exercise,
including using the parking/emergency brake may be in order. Brake issues
are a common issue on gently driven vehicles with regen because the brakes
don't get warmed/worked out much.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018, 13:11 Peri Hartman via EV <***@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Collin.
> That affirms one part of the "mystery": poor range in winter.
> The other half - missing 3.5 kWh - still persists.
> Peri

Getting LeafSpy and an OBD2 adapter: I've thought of that before, sounds
like a good idea. I just looked at the app description and they no
longer make any recommendations of brands. Anyone care to make a
recommendation of one they bought recently and works with the Leaf?

As for brake drag, it's possible, but wouldn't that be reflected in the
kWh used? Besides, it seems that 3.2 miles / kWh is pretty good for
winter city driving.

Peri

>Leaf owners can benefit greatly from the LeafSpy app (not free) and a
>quality bluetooth OBD2 adapter. They can then look at the detailed
>health and capacity stats in app. My guess is 9 bars would be about 16
>kWh capacity.
>
>You may also be losing energy to sticky brakes. Some brake exercise,
>including using the parking/emergency brake may be in order. Brake
>issues are a common issue on gently driven vehicles with regen because
>the brakes don't get warmed/worked out much.
>

>On Wed, Dec 5, 2018, 13:11 Peri Hartman via EV <***@lists.evdl.org>
>wrote:
>>Thanks, Collin.
>>That affirms one part of the "mystery": poor range in winter.
>>The other half - missing 3.5 kWh - still persists.
>>Peri

So, Steve, are you inferring the the 3.2 miles / kWh number could be
inaccurate? If it's reasonably accurate, it becomes irrelevant on how
efficiently I'm driving (yes, stop & go makes a big difference).

I agree, my capacity and remaining charge estimates may be off. That's
where the LeafSpy would help. Again, anyone care to recommend a ODB2
device?

Peri

2018-12-06 22:09:48 UTC
Steve Heath wrote:

> The best mile/Kw I have got has been 180 and the worst is 230. Average
> is 190 and this measurement is based on coulomb counting over the
> distance.

I think you are meaning to state 180-230 Wh/mi? 180-230 mile/kWh would be extremely unusual efficiency for an on-road EV, and mile/kW just doesn’t make any sense ;^>

> If I use the capacity used based on voltage then it can get very silly.
> I was getting figures of 600-700 w/mile because the voltage vs soc is
> non linear. I could drive 25% of the range and the capacity would drop
> to 50%. This did not make sense so I stopped using them and fitted
> coulomb counters. I do use the voltage to predict low battery but the
> rest of the data is just a rough guide. The gauge does  look pretty on
> the dash though.

I understand your reasoning for not using battery voltage to estimate state of charge, but when you quote any efficiency values involving Wh or kWh (Wh/mi or mi/kWh), you are, of course, taking battery voltage into account because power depends upon both the battery voltage and current, and so, therefore, does energy in Wh or kWh.

Pure coulomb-counting will only give you energy usage in mi/Ah, which may be useful in the context of your own EV, but does not allow comparison to the usage of other EVs.

Cheers,

Roger.

Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http
EVDL Administrator via EV
2018-12-07 01:00:14 UTC
On 6 Dec 2018 at 17:28, Steve Heath via EV wrote:

> The best mile/Kw I have got has been 180 and the worst is 230. Average
> is 190 ...

If you're getting 190 miles per kWh, I want your EV.

I think you probably mean Wh/mile, not miles/kWh.

> and this measurement is based on coulomb counting over the distance.
> i.e. measuring the amount of power supplied by the batteries to travel
> the distance.

I think you mean energy, not power. :-)

> This is not the same as the amount of [energy] from the plug to charge the
> batteries nor is it the same [energy] that the motor uses which causes
> further complications.

I'm not sure that I understand what the further complications are. As far
as I can see, it should be just simple math. The energy use measured at
the motor should be the same as the energy consumed at the battery, minus
some percentage for losses in the controller, which will vary with
conditions, but can be averaged. Am I missing something?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

EVDL Administrator via EV
2018-12-07 11:02:37 UTC
On 7 Dec 2018 at 10:30, Steve Heath via EV wrote:

> To me it is very important as I have a small battery
> pack - it is now around 6-7kw - and saving 10 or 20 watts per mile can make a
> big difference.

Better extend that detention. :-) I don't mean to make a big deal about
this, but saying your battery capacity is 6-7kW is kind of like saying your
ICEV's gas tank holds 20 horsepower.

Kilowatts are a measure of power. You want Kilowatt HOURS, the measure of
energy stored in the battery.

> All this is all to do with removing/reducing range anxiety.

If you have a 7kWh battery, I can see why that would be important. :-(

> Why manufacturers don't have a separate battery pack for the
> ancillaries so that their use does not reduce the driving range, I
> don't know.

There's actually a good reason for that. When you weren't using the heater,
you'd be carrying around useless dead weight.

It's because an EV has only so much room and weight capacity for the
battery. If you dedicated part of that space to a battery solely for heat
and other extras, it would just be sitting there when you didn't need it,
adding weight but not range.

It turns out that the most efficient and cost-effective way to handle these
extras is to make the traction battery as big as it can be (given space,
weight and cost considerations), and power the extras from the traction
battery.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

Lee Hart via EV
2018-12-07 17:07:04 UTC
Steve Heath via EV wrote:
>> I'm not sure that I understand what the further complications are. As
>> far as I can see, it should be just simple math. The energy use measured at
>> the motor should be the same as the energy consumed at the battery, minus
>> some percentage for losses in the controller, which will vary with
>> conditions, but can be averaged. Am I missing something?

> Not really but there are other factors that come into play such as
> battery recovery time, regen and so on. It makes these losses very
> difficult to calculate as they are non-linear and condition dependent.
> Averaging is better than nothing.

Yes, it's better than ignoring them. However, most of these losses are
non-linear. For example, resistive losses in the motor, batteries, and
wiring go up as the square of the current; not linearly. Controller and
charger efficiency are highly non-linear as well. The batteries have
something called the Peukert effect, which means their apparent amphour
capacity goes down as current rises.

> The level of effect is also dependent on how much leeway you have in your
> vehicle. To me it is very important as I have a small battery pack - it
> is now around 6-7kw - and saving 10 or 20 watts per mile can make a big
> difference.

I agree. For most of the history of EVs, our battery packs have always
been "small" compared to a tank of gasoline. It has forced EV'ers to
think about efficiency.

> All this is all to do with removing/reducing range anxiety. Matters are
> not helped when power consumption doubles when the heater is on. Why
> manufacturers don't have a separate battery pack for the ancillaries so
> that their use does not reduce the driving range, I don't know.
> Presumably it is cost and the amount of power needed to power all the
> gizmos that marketing insist must be present. Anyway getting away from
> the original topic.

It makes more sense to have one big battery than two smaller ones, only
one of which is used to propel the car. Range inevitably drops when the
heater or A/C is used. But that's true for ICEs as well (though not so
much for the heater; ICE's have more heat than they know what to do with).

On the amount of power cars use: We go out of our way to have efficient
home heating and cooling systems. We have portable clocks, computers,
and radios that use tiny amounts of power. But cars (including EVs) are
still designed for the "oil age" when power is infinite and free.

It takes more power to heat or cool a car than an entire apartment. Cars
have negligible insulation, lots of air leaks, and are all single-pane
windows. Most of the lights are still tungsten bulbs. A car's clock,
radio, and computers use 100's of times more power than your other
battery-operated clocks, radios, or computers. The automakers have
simply not had to think about power.

--
Obsolete (Ob-so-LETE). Adjective. 1. Something that is simple,
reliable, straightforward, readily available, easy to use, and
George Tyler via EV
2018-12-07 04:20:46 UTC
I know my Prius computers draw a total of 250W standing still. if the
leaf was similar, whats 250Wh consumed in an hour even if you did not move.

Lee Hart via EV
2018-12-07 04:40:33 UTC
George Tyler via EV wrote:
> I know my Prius computers draw a total of 250W standing still. if the
> leaf was similar, whats 250Wh consumed in an hour even if you did not move.

Just a quick data point: My wife drove our 2013 Leaf to choir practice
this evening. Temperature about 15 deg.F. It used 40% of its charge on
the way there with the heater on. So on the way back, she left the
heater off (just used the seat and steering wheel heaters), and it used
20%. So the heater is using about as much power as driving the car down
the road.

Cor van de Water via EV
2018-12-07 04:44:09 UTC
Peri,
I selected the cheapest OBD2 that stated it supports the Leaf.
There was a warning not to use rev 2 of the ELM327 as they cost-reduced the necessary 2nd CAN interface away
But this actually states that it is rev 1.5 so that is good. All of $8.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327/253856037016

Cor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

>There is another factor: 14 miles in one hour indicates to me a lot of
>stop start running and this can have a serious effect on the efficiency
>of the car.
>
>I do notice that stop start driving is not as efficient as cruising and
>there is little or no regen on braking. End result is a 15% difference
>is consumption in my experience.
>
>I can use less energy taking a longer route that has no speed bumps
>compared to one with them where I have to slow down and accelerate
>from.
>
>Although my car is a conversion, I do have very good coulomb counting
>instrumentation of what goes out and into the batteries and on the
>chargers and these agree within 1%. I also have a voltage system that
>monitors the voltage and controls engaging Turbo mode if that will
>force the battery voltage to drop below the BMS panic level. What is
>interesting is that the coulomb counting is pretty well consistent but
>the voltage representation can vary as much as 20%. LiION batteries
>are very difficult to measure SOC from the voltage except for the two
>extremes.
>
>So what happens is that the coulomb count is ok but the capacity
>estimate from the voltage can and does vary.
>
>So add all these factors up and it can explain where the missing power
>has gone.
>
>I would also expect to use more than 1 kw for heating.
>
>Definitely worth getting more accurate data.
>

>On 06/12/2018 15:23, Haudy Kazemi via EV wrote:
>>Leaf owners can benefit greatly from the LeafSpy app (not free) and a
>>quality bluetooth OBD2 adapter. They can then look at the detailed
>>health
>>and capacity stats in app. My guess is 9 bars would be about 16 kWh
>>capacity.
>>
>>You may also be losing energy to sticky brakes. Some brake exercise,
>>including using the parking/emergency brake may be in order. Brake
>>issues
>>are a common issue on gently driven vehicles with regen because the
>>brakes
>>don't get warmed/worked out much.
>>

>>On Wed, Dec 5, 2018, 13:11 Peri Hartman via EV <***@lists.evdl.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks, Collin.
>>>That affirms one part of the "mystery": poor range in winter.
>>>The other half - missing 3.5 kWh - still persists.
>>>Peri

Steve,
Is your worst case really 230 Wh / mile? That's rather incredible
(translates to 4.3 miles / kWh). That's around the *best* I ever get
with my Leaf, in summer. What are you driving, and where?
Peri

2018-12-07 20:54:39 UTC
Nice job, Steve ! Compliments to you.
Peri

On 7 Dec 2018 at 16:58, Steve Heath via EV wrote:

> The car is here:  http://www.evalbum.com/5368

Impressive! Even more so when you consider the low cost of conversion.
Well done.

You're absolutely right about the dismaying bloat of modern cars. For EV
conversions, a light glider is the secret to good range and performance
without a high conversion cost.

In the early 1970s I owned a 1965 Opel Kadett Coupe. It would have almost
certainly made for a successful conversion, though I didn't consider it
then.

It was dirt-simple: manual brakes and steering, roll-up windows, heating and
ventilation controlled by plain mechanical linkages. The wiring diagram
took up just 2 pages in the shop manual. No computers, of course.

All up weight was under 1500lb (670kg) with a GWVR of almost 2300lb.

Best of all, it had a nice big square trunk. Pushing the GWVR a bit, I could
probably have put 800lb of lead in there and under the hood. I expect that
12 golf car batteries (72 volts) would have given me a solid 40+mi of range.
With modern batteries, much more.

https://postimg.cc/dZ01vRf5

https://postimg.cc/bs35sxBQ

A somewhat more recent light car for EV conversion is the mid-1980s Suzuki
Swift (Chevrolet Sprint in the US) at 620 to 750kg (Sprint: 680kg/1500lb).
Unfortunately I suspect that these aren't much easier than mid-60s Opels to
find in usable condition.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

ken via EV
2018-12-05 03:50:52 UTC
is there something Leaf Spy.... to see if you have a weak cell or
other losses ?

paul dove via EV
2018-12-05 11:19:24 UTC
The range in my Mitsubishi i-MiEV drops about 10% in cold weather too.

Sent from my iPhone

Peri Hartman via EV
2018-12-05 15:36:39 UTC
Um, I'm getting a drop closer to 50%.